Billionaire New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, who was previously a Democrat, then won two mayoral elections as a Republican, has switched party allegiance again this time to Independent. This would open the door to his running a third party campaign for President. He has mused about dropping a billion bucks of his own money on such a race.
Perhaps Bloomberg believed the article by Washington Post reporter Dan Balz lamenting the collapse of the Senate amnesty bill (Warning: It`s alive!):
Voters wanted an immigration deal â€¦The collective failure of the two parties already appears to have stimulated interest in a third-party candidate for president in 2008 whose main promise would be to make Washington work. It is far too early to assess the viability of such a candidate, but it is easy to imagine the immigration impasse finding its way into a television commercial if someone such as New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg decides to run.
But I can think of an even more effective commercial Bloomberg could make based on this news story:
NEW YORK, April 1, 2006 (UPI) — New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says golf fairways would suffer if illegal immigrants were returned to their native country.
“You and I are beneficiaries of these jobs,” Bloomberg told his WABC-AM radio co-host, John Gambling. “You and I both play golf; who takes care of the greens and the fairways in your golf course?”
However, Robert Heaney, general manager of Deepdale Golf Club — a Long Island course where Bloomberg often plays — told The New York Daily News that no illegal immigrants work at the club.
Wouldn`t that make a great TV commercial?
- Open with a helicopter shot of a beautiful 160 acre golf course with nobody on it–except Mike Bloomberg in the middle of a fairway.
- Cut to Bloomberg hitting a 4-iron shot.
- But the fairway has only been mown to 7/16″ of an inch instead of the 5/16″ the way Bloomberg likes it, so in super-close-up/super slo-mo you can see blades of grass getting between the grooves of his clubface and his Titleist Pro-V1 golf ball.
- Lacking adequate backspin, his shot doesn`t “bite” and rolls over the green into a sandtrap.
- With a look of infinite sadness transforming into steely resolve, Bloomberg turns and faces the camera.
- He says to the American people: “Never forget. Without amnesty to ensure that America has enough poorly paid greens keepers, this could happen to you too someday.”
- His slogan flashes on the screen: