Breaking News: Jury in Michael Slager Show Trial is Deadlocked! (Walter Scott)
We don’t know what the numbers are, but I’m sure of at least one juror voting to convict—the black foreman, who just so happens to be the only black juror. (That was black Judge Clifton Newman’s decision.)
CNN personality Brooke Baldwin maintained of Walter Scott, “He was pulled over only for a broken tail light,” as if Officer Slager had improperly stopped Scott. This is Baldwin’s way of insinuating that the stop was a bad stop, that Officer Slager was racially profiling Scott, and that the policeman had bad intent, if not premeditation to murder Scott, when he pulled him over.
This is really pathetic. (I’m tempted to say, even by CNN’s low standards, but that would too charitable. With CNN, there is no bottom.) Brooke Baldwin is trying to convict Michael Slager in the court of public opinion, whatever may happen in criminal court.
More poison: Baldwin cited the testimony of a female crime scene investigator, who allegedly claimed that Slager had made contradictory statements about what happened between him and Walter Scott. However, Baldwin (or her scriptwriter) lied by omission, in not mentioning that Judge Newman permitted all police colleagues hostile to the defense to testify about their opinions, while barring almost testimony by police personnel that might help the defense.
One possible explanation for the deadlock is that the jury is deadlocked over conflicting evidence or that sympathetic white jurors who refuse to be party to a judicial lynching. Another possible ambiguous interpretations of the distinction between “murder” and “manslaughter.”
Judge Newman has ordered the jury to continue deliberations, until it arrives at a conviction, er, verdict.
Earlier posts on the charges against Officer Slager for killing black criminal Walter Scott:
- Why Don’t They Just Crucify Officer Michael Slager And Have Done With It?
- The Case Of Michael Slager: Not Just Lynching, A Crucifixion
- A Retired, 30-Year Lawman Comments on the Federal Civil Rights Case Against Michael Slager
- Week Three Of White Policeman Michael Slager’s Show Trial For Shooting Black Petty Criminal Walter Scott Dead, Cop’s Old Supe: “He Was A Very Good Officer”
- Michael Slager Show Trial Effectively Over: Racist Black Judge Handcuffs Defense