The Fulford File | White Share Update: BOSTON GLOBE’s Renee Loth Wrong On “The GOP’s Demographics Problem”—Romney COULD Win With The White Vote, He Just Hasn’t Tried
GOP Presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s share of the white vote—a.k.a. the votes of the historic American nation—is discussed in the Main Stream Media only as an embarrassment.
The MSM apparently thinks Romney has too many white supporters. Thus Renée Loth, the former editorial page editor of the Boston Globe, wrote in a typical innumerate article today (illustrated with the picture, below right, —obviously insinuating that the old America is fat and dying out):
If demographics is destiny, the Republican Party has a rendezvous with irrelevance — unless its policies change. This is the message some Republican leaders have been sending in the closing weeks of the presidential campaign. “The demographics race we’re losing badly,” Senator Lindsey Graham recently told the Washington Post with characteristic bluntness. “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”
The numbers tell the tale. Minorities have accounted for 85 percent of the country’s population growth over the past decade, according to the US Census Bureau. A record 24 million Hispanics will be eligible to vote in the 2012 presidential election, up 22 percent since 2008. Meanwhile, nearly 87 percent of registered Republican voters are white. And whites have declined as a portion of the electorate in every presidential election since 1992.
It’s getting harder and harder to cobble together a winning coalition based on the grievances of a diminishing faction of white men, and many Republicans know it. An unnamed strategist was quoted in the National Journal in August explaining that Mitt Romney campaign’s formula for winning the presidency involves capturing 61 percent of the white vote (more than any candidate since Ronald Reagan). “This is the last time anyone will try to do this,” the strategist said. [Links added by VDARE.com][More]
The GOP’s demographics problem, October 13, 2012
Of course, this long-term demographic and political transformation of the U.S is exactly what VDARE.com Editor Peter Brimelow and Edwin S. Rubenstein warned about, back in 1997 (!) in the pre-purge National Review, in Electing a New People.
But there are some things that need to be said:
- Renée Loth [Email her] is a liberal Democrat, writing for a liberal Democratic paper. She’s in favor of both the immivasion, and of the GOP self-destructing by turning liberal.
- Lindsey Graham, the Republican Senator quoted above, is an Open Borders, Treason Lobby weasel.
- The demographic transformation of America didn’t just happen—it was planned. It’s a result of specific government policies—mass legal immigration unleashed by the 1965 Immigration Act; massive non-enforcement of laws against illegal immigration.
- Those policies could be changed, by a Republican administration with a good sense of its own and the country’s interests—which is not, of course, what we’ve got.
- Finally, and above all: as we have repeatedly pointed out, MITT ROMNEY IS NOWHERE CLOSE TO GETTING 61% OF THE WHITE VOTE. And he’s not even trying to get 61% of the white vote—if he were, he’d be doing this. As a result, he’s at a mere 50% in Michigan and an appalling 45% in California.
The phrase “demographics is destiny” that Ms. Loth uses above is commonly attributed to Simon Kuznets. Peter Brimelow’s more pointed and much criticized formulation: “race is destiny in American politics”. [Alien Nation, p. 264]
Certainly blacks think so. It turns out that it is very possible to get more than 61 percent of an ethnic group—Obama is doing it! He’s getting up to a hundred percent of the black vote, and sometimes 70 percent of the Hispanics.
The National Journal article that Loth cites, by Ronald Brownstein, was not called “Romney Needs 61 Percent of Whites”—it was called Obama Needs 80% of Minority Vote to Win 2012 Presidential Election.[August 24, 2012]
Our October 13 White Share update: the latest Rasmussen Reports Presidential Poll shows Romney still just ahead overall by one point, 49-48. Premium Platinum subscribers find that the racial breakdown looks like this:
So Romney’s white share is up a point from Friday. But it’s still in the pathetic Bush-McCain range, well below that 61 percent. For the record, Reagan got 64% in 1984 and Richard Nixon got 67% in 1972. (More white share comparisons here—scroll down).
Mr. Romney might profit from his ethnocentric example.
After all, the Boston Globe’s Renee Loth is going to accuse him of trying to do that anyway.
James Fulford is a writer and editor for VDARE.com.