The Fourth Of July Is Beloved Of Americans–But Not All “Citizens” Think Of Themselves That Way
The blogger called “Education Realist” writes about the Test Score Gap and her experiences teaching “kids these days”, many of whom are immigrants or the children of immigrants. A couple of weeks ago, “Education Realist” (“Ed” for short) wrote this:
“I need a Saturday off over the 4th of July. Is there anyone here who absolutely can’t meet on a Sunday to make up that session?” The kids all seemed fine with it.
“Besides, look at the bright side–you’ll get the whole fourth of July weekend off!”
Yun snorted. “I’m not American. It’s not my holiday.”
I stopped cold. Just looked at him. And waited.
“It’s not me, it’s my parents. They weren’t born here; they don’t care about that.”
“Were you born here?”
I looked at the class.
“How many of you were born here?”
Most of the hands went up.
“How many of you know what the Fourth of July is, much less celebrate it?”
All of the hands went down.
“Yeah. You all SUCK. Do it different this year.”
They all looked abashed.
Citizens, Not Americans, June 16, 2016
Read the whole thing—it’s a cure for immigration romanticism. It makes the point that immigration enthusiasts like anti-Trump Republican commentator Joe Scarborough, who says that “Muslim Americans have successfully integrated into this country better than any non-Muslim country in the world. They’re pursuing the American dream” and Republican speaker Paul Ryan who “represents a district that’s 91% white, ahead of the [Wisconsin’s] ’s 86% white average” simply don’t know many immigrants.
Also, people like Omar Mateen ( “not an immigrant,” because “born here“) and Judge Curiel (“not a Mexican” because “born in Indiana“) may have American citizenship, but they don’t think of themselves as Americans. Ed did discover one second-generation American who did think of himself as an American:
Last February, third block algebra 2: “Hey, Ed, I heard you’re a Republican. You voting Trump?”
Chuy broke in, “Yeah! Go Trump!” and beamed at me approvingly.
Daniel was shocked. (Truth be told, I almost fell out of my chair.) “What? How can you like Trump? He wants to deport Mexicans.”
“So what? I ain’t Mexican.”
“Well, neither am I, but…”
“Then what do you care? They can go back home. Trump’s strong. This country needs someone strong and tough. I like him.”
Kids like Chuy are rare among the “children of immigrants” population, but they do exist, and I expect Chuy to be celebrating the Fourth of July like any other American.
Speaking of of which…John Adams, discussing the vote that had just been taken by the Continental Congress in favor of independence, said that he believed—and he was correct—that the Declaration Of Independence would be
“celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations from one end of this Continent to the other from this time forward forever more.”
By “guns” he meant saluting guns loaded with blank charges—firing loaded guns in the air is more of a Cinco De Mayo kind of thing.
We also celebrate Fourth of July at VDARE.com with a roundup of Independence Day Columns.
Independence Day Columns from previous years:
- 07/04/15—July Fourth Fear: Can Free Speech (And America) Survive A Minority-Dominated Supreme Court?
- 07/04/15—Happy Independence Day From VDARE.com!
- 07/04/14—Sworn On The Fourth Of July—Naturalization Ceremonies Certifying A New People
- 07/04/13—VDARE.com Says: Happy Independence Day— But Watch Out For Real Gunfire!
- 07/04/13— A Fourth Of July Immigration Sermon From SLATE
- 07/05/13— Reader Hears People Starting To Say “Happy Holiday” On July Fourth—That’s Starting The “War On Christmas” Early!
- 07/04/12 Happy Fourth! “Independence Day” And “Immigration”—Two Things That DON`T Go Together
- 07/03/11 The Fulford File, By James Fulford | Independence Day Under Immigration Attack
- 07/03/10 “In The Year Of Our Lord”…Independence Day And Loyalty Day
- 07/03/08—The Fulford File: Independence Day—”Pomp, Shows, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires, And Illuminations “—But Not Immigration
- 06/27/08—View From Lodi CA: Independence Day and Hot Dog Gluttony
- 07/03/07—The Fulford File: Independence Day AND Immigration—Time To Declare Independence From Five Billion Potential Immigrants
- 07/03/06—The Fulford File: “There Shall Be Closed Borders”
- 07/04/05—A Second Independence Day: Summary Deportation Now (Or Counter-Insurgency Later?), by Juan Mann
- 07/03/05—The Fulford File: Independence Day And The WSJ Edit Page, by James Fulford
- 07/03/04—Jack Kemp vs. George Washington On Independence Day
- 07/03/03—Independence Day Is NOT Immigration Day—Despite the Wall Street Journal
- 07/04/02—Immigration Day?
- 07/04/01—Patriotic Bore By Chilton Williamson Jr.
- 07/09/01—Abolishing America (contd.): Establishment Sages Say Nation Obsolete, By Sam Francis
- 07/03/01—Wall Street Journal: Independence Day Means Immigration!