Remember to enter Amazon via the VDARE.com link and we get a commission on any purchases you make—at no cost to you!
Happy Fourth! "Independence Day" And "Immigration"—Two Things That DON'T Go Together
It's getting truer.
Searching "independence day" and "immigration" in Google news, it looks like the intelligentsia, if I may call them that, have forgotten what independence is for.
Independence is not about immigration or multiculturalism, but the reverse.
Among this year's crop:
- Robert V. Taylor, a WASP South African, now an American citizen, writes:
"When I was an illegal immigrant I celebrated Independence Day as if it were a spiritual holiday…"
Illegal Immigrants Celebrating July Fourth?, Huffington Post, July 3, 2012
Taylor was a Carter-era illegal, and fought against apartheid, thus helping create the New South Africa—to which, curiously, he did not return. Now legalized, he wants to do the same kind of thing to the US by amnestying twelve million Latinos.
- Establishment environmentalists worry that America is using too much oil, and is too dependent on foreign sources of it, but they won't apply this logic to people—the Natural Resources Defense Council, an enviro group, has a blog saying
The following quote [NRDC blogger Kaid Banfield is quoting a op-ed by Jeb Bush and Robert Putnam] eloquently expresses an important aspect of what “America” is, was, and perhaps should be:
"On our national birthday, and amid an angry debate about immigration, Americans should reflect on the lessons of our shared immigrant past. We must recall that the challenges facing our nation today were felt as far back as the Founders' time. Immigrant assimilation has always been slow and contentious, with progress measured not in years but in decades. Yet there are steps communities and government should take to form a more cohesive, successful union . . .
[A post for Independence Day: America the welcoming, July 3, 2012]
NRDC anti-global warming types should realize that every time anyone from any Third World Country moves to America, their "carbon footprint" goes up. A Natural Resources Defense Council should be defending America's natural resources from immigrants, and making the US independent of them.
- The ACLU seems not to realize that since Secure ID is part of America's defense against illegal invasion, then it's perfectly appropriate for Independence Day: Just in time for Independence Day, A Renewed Call for a National ID Card, ACLU, July 3, 2012.
But then, the ACLU supports the invasion, so anything it says about the "rights" of illegals can be discounted.
- The San Antonio Express reports an Immigrant rights march set for July 4, by Elaine Ayala, July3, 2012
- The Communists—yes, actual Communists—at People's World have a post called Immigration nation, July 3, 2012. It makes exactly the same "Independence-Day-is-about-immigration" points, and asks:
"Who could be more anti-American than those who seek to keep at least 11 million people, undocumented immigrants, away from the fruits of equality that were fought for by generations of Americans—most of whom came from immigrant stock?"
I happen to know the answer to that one—Communists! Communists could be more anti-American. The Communists feature a genuinely scary music video by "Gogol Bordello" performing Immigraniada (We Comin' Rougher)
Do they really think We Comin' Rougher makes a case for immigration? The Communists say of the band that "with members from Ukraine, Russia, Ethiopia, Japan, Ecuador and elsewhere, the band could likely only have formed in America."
That's because none of those countries accepts mass immigration.
Every year on the Fourth, the UCIS holds mass swearing-in ceremonies:
- July 4th- USCIS to Welcome more than 4,000 New Citizens During Independence Day Celebration, Jornal.us News Agency (press release) July 3, 2012
- On the Fourth, dozens will become Americans in Kissimmee, Orlando Sentinel, July 3, 2012
To give you some idea of what that means, remember that I blogged a while back that new Americans Howie Mandel and Craig Ferguson each claimed to be the only English-speaking person at their swearing-in ceremonies—and Scottish native Craig Ferguson doesn't really speak English.
The only link I found on this search which had the right idea was columnist Nicholas Harmon in the Walton Tribune: Independence day or Becoming Dependent Day? June 30, 2012.
Unfortunately, he's having the right idea in a paper that serves Walton County, Georgia, population 83, 000, 80 percent white.
In big-city newspapers, you're not allowed to have the right idea.
In 1776, American was already part of a multi-national, multi-religious, polyglot empire—the British Empire which already had African, Hindu and Chinese subjects, as well as French Catholic subjects in Quebec, and Spanish Catholic subjects on various islands.
The British Empire had all the diversity anyone could want, and in fact, more—and that was what the colonists rose up against and left.
Happy Independence Day!
James Fulford [Email him] is a writer and editor for VDARE.com.
- 07/03/11 The Fulford File, By James Fulford | Independence Day Under Immigration Attack
- 07/03/10 "In The Year Of Our Lord"…Independence Day And Loyalty Day
- 07/03/08—The Fulford File: Independence Day—"Pomp, Shows, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires, And Illuminations "—But Not Immigration
- 06/27/08—View From Lodi CA: Independence Day and Hot Dog Gluttony
- 07/03/07—The Fulford File: Independence Day AND Immigration—Time To Declare Independence From Five Billion Potential Immigrants
- 07/04/05—A Second Independence Day: Summary Deportation Now (Or Counter-Insurgency Later?), by Juan Mann