Remember to enter Amazon via the VDARE.com link and we get a commission on any purchases you make—at no cost to you!
Border Commission: Rubio Fooled Limbaugh By Lying About Mandate
This is no Joke. H/T One Old Vet
Working my way through the intimidating backlog of One Old Vet’s Amnesty news compendiums accumulated since I last wrote on them, I find in Friday’s 57-strong collection the transcript of Rush Limbaugh’s interview with Marco Rubio EIB Interview: Why, Senator Rubio? April 18, 2013 rushlimbaugh.com
In this Limbaugh, who really understands the immigration issue, asked an extremely penetrating question:
The last time you were here, you were very certain -- you assured everybody -- that until the border was secure, there would not be legalization of a pathway to citizenship. Now people who've seen the bill say that what actually happens is that the legalization does take place and that then there's a commission that has 10 years to figure out border security.
Which is true?
(The bill had actually been made public at 2-25AM (!) that morning)
Rubio dealt with this awkward query by lying:
The Department of Homeland Security has …the following goal: a hundred percent awareness of border, 90% apprehension. They have five years to meet that standard. If in five years the border is not 90% apprehension, 100% awareness, they lose control of the border issue to a commission that is not a Washington commission. It is a commission that will largely be driven by the governors of the border states.
(VDARE.com emphasis). As I noted yesterday in Gang Bill Omits Empowered Border Commission Rubio Promised - Will He Denounce? Byron York has demonstrated that this is just not true. The Commission – on which the Border Governors will only be a minority if they are on it at all – is not structured to assume legal power over anything, ever.
Of course, it is logically possible that Rubio does not really know what is in the Bill, having been once again outwitted by cleverer men. That is no less disgraceful than lying.
But in fact the evidence is that Rubio is using his media popularity to mislead the public. In One Old Vet’s 48-strong Thursday Amnesty news collection I find Marco Rubio’s completely worthless border security triggers by Con Carroll washingtonexaminer.com April 17, 2013.
This excellent piece of journalism notes
Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., has produced a press release detailing “six security trigger steps that must be met before any currently illegal immigrant is given access to a green card.”
and then demolishes them:
None of these triggers will assure any actual border security.
1. The DHS border security plan is just a plan. No plan has ever stopped anyone from crossing a border.
2. The DHS border fence plan is just a plan. No plan has ever stopped anyone from crossing a border.
3. Will DHS use their old system of tracking apprehensions, which shows they capture about 65 percent of border-crossers? Or will they use new drone data showing they catch less than half of border-crossers? The bill doesn’t say. But it doesn’t matter because see number four.
4. If DHS fails to catch 90 percent of border-crossers, all that happens is the creation of a Border Commission that must produce a report. That’s it. A report. No report has ever stopped anyone from crossing a border.
5. There are zero metrics in the bill to determine if the E-Verify system has been adequately implemented. And even if there were, there is no citizen suit provision empowering citizens to stop the secretary of homeland security from declaring the E-Verify system “implemented” and granting provisional residents permanent legal status.
6. There are zero metrics in the bill to determine if the visa-exit system has been adequately implemented. And even if there were, there is no citizen suit provision empowering citizens to stop the secretary of homeland security from declaring the visa-exit system “implemented” and granting provisional residents permanent legal status.
Rubio’s contentions are simply fraudulent.
Limbaugh’s transcript headline derives from his question:
Senator… so many people are scared to death, Senator, that the Republican Party is committing suicide, that we're going to end up legalizing nine million automatic Democrat voters, and that's why the Democrats are so adamant…
Why? What is it about right now that says, forget everything else fails I've asked you, forget the political ramifications I've asked you about. Why does it need to be fixed right now?
All Rubio could say was that the situation now was "de facto Amnesty" (a silly talking point refuted here, and anyway due only to GOP’s failure to challenge Obama’s law-flouting use of Administrative Amnesty) and that it would be nice if the illegals could vote.
Nice for whom? My caption photograph is not meant as a joke: perhaps having helped ruin the GOP’s prospects Rubio is planning to switch parties (like Arlen Specter or, ironically, Charlie Crist) and mutate into the leader of the Unobnoxious Hispanic faction of the Democratic Party
The sooner the better.