The boring truth is that the movies that everybody knew on January 1st were going to get most of the Oscar nominations actually are
pretty good. For example, The Kids Are All Right
is just a Lifetime Movie that has been inflated by gay marriage culture war solidarity, but it`s also, by the standards of Lifetime Movies, well above average.
You can read my reviews at the links:
- "Black Swan" Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers
- "The Fighter" David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers
- "Inception" Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers
- "The Kids Are All Right" Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers
- "The King`s Speech" Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers
- "127 Hours" Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers
- "The Social Network" Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ce??n Chaffin, Producers
- "Toy Story 3" Darla K. Anderson, Producer
- "True Grit" Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
- "Winter`s Bone" Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers
As for the two I haven`t reviewed, I was looking forward to reviewing Inception
all summer, but then the magazine went on vacation that week. I can`t imagine I have much to say about Inception that hasn`t already been said. I`ve been studying up on Jim Webb books to write my review of Winter`s Bone
, so that will probably be next week.
- "Black Swan" Darren Aronofsky
- "The Fighter" David O. Russell
- "The King`s Speech" Tom Hooper
- "The Social Network" David Fincher
- "True Grit" Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
The problem with having ten Best Picture nominees to get more people to watch the Oscars show, but still having only five Best Director nominees is that it`s pretty obvious that Inception
won`t win Best Picture because Christopher Nolan didn`t get nominated for Best Director. One of these years he`ll finally have proven himself ...
Actor in a Leading Role
- Javier Bardem in "Biutiful"
- Jeff Bridges in "True Grit"
- Jesse Eisenberg in "The Social Network"
- Colin Firth in "The King`s Speech"
- James Franco in "127 Hours"
is bad but Bardem is good. I usually like Jesse Eisenberg a lot, but I thought his performance in The Social Network
wasn`t up to par. I would have gone with Ryan Gosling of Blue Valentine
for one of these spots.
Actor in a Supporting Role
- Christian Bale in "The Fighter"
- John Hawkes in "Winter`s Bone"
- Jeremy Renner in "The Town"
- Mark Ruffalo in "The Kids Are All Right"
- Geoffrey Rush in "The King`s Speech"
They`re all good.
Actress in a Leading Role
- Annette Bening in "The Kids Are All Right"
- Nicole Kidman in "Rabbit Hole"
- Jennifer Lawrence in "Winter`s Bone"
- Natalie Portman in "Black Swan"
- Michelle Williams in "Blue Valentine"
Natalie Portman didn`t do much for me in Black Swan — she mostly just look frenzied, and or weirded out — kind of the female equivalent of Eisenberg`s performance. Jennifer Lawrence is pretty great in Winter`s Bone
, but it was a good role if you can nail the Ozark accent.
Actress in a Supporting Role
- Amy Adams in "The Fighter"
- Helena Bonham Carter in "The King`s Speech"
- Melissa Leo in "The Fighter"
- Hailee Steinfeld in "True Grit"
- Jacki Weaver in "Animal Kingdom"
I haven`t seen Animal Kingdom, but all the rest are definitely good performances.
Animated Feature Film
- "How to Train Your Dragon" Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
- "The Illusionist" Sylvain Chomet
- "Toy Story 3" Lee Unkrich
- "Alice in Wonderland"
Production Design: Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Karen O`Hara
- "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1"
Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan
Production Design: Guy Hendrix Dyas; Set Decoration: Larry Dias and Doug Mowat
- "The King`s Speech"
Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Judy Farr
- "True Grit"
Production Design: Jess Gonchor; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh
- "Black Swan" Matthew Libatique
- "Inception" Wally Pfister
- "The King`s Speech" Danny Cohen
- "The Social Network" Jeff Cronenweth
- "True Grit" Roger Deakins
I don`t believe a woman has ever been nominated in this category. You apprentice by climbing ladders carrying heavy lights, so upper body strength is a prerequisite.
- "Alice in Wonderland" Colleen Atwood
- "I Am Love" Antonella Cannarozzi
- "The King`s Speech" Jenny Beavan
- "The Tempest" Sandy Powell
- "True Grit" Mary Zophres
- "Exit through the Gift Shop" Banksy and Jaimie D`Cruz
- "Gasland" Josh Fox and Trish Adlesic
- "Inside Job" Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
- "Restrepo" Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger
- "Waste Land" Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley
Notably, Waiting for "Superman"
failed to get a nomination. Good job, Academy members! For some reason, people in LA aren`t as hyped up as people in NYC and DC about schools.
Documentary (Short Subject)
- "Killing in the Name" Nominees to be determined
- "Poster Girl" Nominees to be determined
- "Strangers No More" Karen Goodman and Kirk Simon
- "Sun Come Up" Jennifer Redfearn and Tim Metzger
- "The Warriors of Qiugang" Ruby Yang and Thomas Lennon
- "Black Swan" Andrew Weisblum
- "The Fighter" Pamela Martin
- "The King`s Speech" Tariq Anwar
- "127 Hours" Jon Harris
- "The Social Network" Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter
Even if they expanded the list of Best Director nominations to ten, you could still tell Inception won`t win Best Picture because it`s not on this list.
Foreign Language Film
- "Biutiful" Mexico
- "Dogtooth" Greece
- "In a Better World" Denmark
- "Incendies" Canada
- "Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)" Algeria
- "Barney`s Version" Adrien Morot
- "The Way Back" Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
I just finished my review of Peter Weir`s movie about escape from the Gulag and it will be up at Taki`s tomorrow.
- "The Wolfman" Rick Baker and Dave Elsey
Music (Original Score)
- "How to Train Your Dragon" John Powell
- "Inception" Hans Zimmer
- "The King`s Speech" Alexandre Desplat
- "127 Hours" A.R. Rahman
- "The Social Network" Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
No nominations for Christopher Nolan, but one for Hans Zimmer?
Music (Original Song)
- "Coming Home" from "Country Strong" Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
- "I See the Light" from "Tangled" Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater
- "If I Rise" from "127 Hours" Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong
- "We Belong Together" from "Toy Story 3" Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
Short Film (Animated)
- "Day & Night" Teddy Newton (from Toy Story 3)
- "The Gruffalo" Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
- "Let`s Pollute" Geefwee Boedoe
- "The Lost Thing" Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann
- "Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)" Bastien Dubois
Short Film (Live Action)
- "The Confession" Tanel Toom
- "The Crush" Michael Creagh
- "God of Love" Luke Matheny
- "Na Wewe" Ivan Goldschmidt
- "Wish 143" Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite
- "Inception" Richard King
- "Toy Story 3" Tom Myers and Michael Silvers
- "Tron: Legacy" Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague
- "True Grit" Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey
- "Unstoppable" Mark P. Stoeckinger
- "Inception" Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick
- "The King`s Speech" Paul Hamblin, Martin Jensen and John Midgley
- "Salt" Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan and William Sarokin
- "The Social Network" Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick and Mark Weingarten
- "True Grit" Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland
- "Alice in Wonderland" Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips
- "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1" Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi
- "Hereafter" Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojanski and Joe Farrell
- "Inception" Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb
- "Iron Man 2" Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Daniel Sudick
Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
- "127 Hours" Screenplay by Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy
- "The Social Network" Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin
- "Toy Story 3" Screenplay by Michael Arndt; Story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich
- "True Grit" Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
- "Winter`s Bone" Adapted for the screen by Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini
Writing (Original Screenplay)
- "Another Year" Written by Mike Leigh
- "The Fighter" Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson;
Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson
- "Inception" Written by Christopher Nolan
- "The Kids Are All Right" Written by Lisa Cholodenko & Stuart Blumberg
- "The King`s Speech" Screenplay by David Seidler
Nolan certainly deserved this nomination for keeping Inception semi-comprehensible.