Default
Looking Back On Durban I
Thumb jf
April 24, 2009, 02:50 PM
A+
|
a-
Print Friendly and PDF
Mark Steyn`s request of the week is an old column from before 9/11:
The Bush administration, for example, has inherited an awkward court case from its predecessor, in which it feels obliged to defend `affirmative action` quotas in federal highway construction contracts. Three decades ago, `affirmative action` meant that the 10 per cent of the population who were black got a bit of preferential treatment over the remaining 90 per cent. But, with the ever-spreading tide of victim culture, so many other groups have been dealt into the game that two-thirds of the population qualify as `presumed disadvantaged`, the various categories extending into the dozens to embrace Pacific Islanders, women, veterans, and people from `Juvalu`, which doesn`t seem to exist but is most likely a typo for `Tuvalu`. Neither Tuvaluans nor Juvaluans have suffered historic, systemic discrimination in the US, but if a federal highway contract is up for tender and the choice is between, say, a tenth-generation Yankee or a Juvaluan who just got off the boat, you`re obliged to give it to the guy from Juvalu.

Nearly 70 per cent of the population are entitled to preferential treatment over the remaining 30 per cent - white men, the sole surviving non-victim group in American society, and thus the only people you`re allowed to victimise.[SteynOnline - DURB AN` DURBER, originally published in the Spectator, September 8, 2001]

See also Homicide of the West, by the late Sam Francis, on the same subject.