Default
Islamic Milestone Reached in America: Two Honor Killing Trials Running Concurrently
Default author
January 25, 2011, 05:20 PM
A+
|
a-
Print Friendly and PDF
It’s true: two honor killing trials are going on at the same time. What a triumph for Islamic diversity in America. Muslims must be proud that their misogynist culture has been implanted so thoroughly in a society that thought it was doing well on gender equality. The wonders of multicultural immigration, that enriches us all here in backward America!

In Phoenix, the trial of Faleh Almaleki started on Monday, for the murder of his daughter Noor for becoming too westernized — i.e. independent and unwilling to be the slave of Allah and her father (pictured). The prosecution’s attempt to negotiate a plea deal fell through, so now the perp is left with lame excuses, like �accident.� Ri-i-i-ght!

Defense calls death accident, not �honor killing’, Associated Press, January 24, 2011

PHOENIX — An attorney for an Iraqi immigrant accused of killing his daughter because he believed she was too Westernized said the death was an accident caused when he tried to spit on a woman who had helped his daughter.

But a prosecutor said during opening statements Monday in the case of Faleh Almaleki that he intentionally slammed his Jeep into his 20-year-old daughter, Noor Almaleki, and her boyfriend’s mother.

For honor crime #2 we turn to Buffalo, where the trial of Muzzammil Hassan enters the second week. He admits murdering his wife and then beheading her. The crime qualifies as an honor killing because he killed her when she filed for divorce to pursue her own life as an independent individual. Muslim wives are not supposed to divorce their husbands, although the reverse is quite acceptable.

The couple had founded an Islamic TV station (Bridges TV) to combat negative stereotypes about Muslims, like violence against women etc.

Last week was pretty dramatic, with Muzzammil’s son by a previous marriage testifying against him. Outside the courtroom, a family therapist Nancy Kells said in an interview that Muzzamil was the only person she ever feared in 20 years of practice:

Today’s big news is that the judge relented to Muzzammil’s demands that he be allowed to represent himself in court.

New York Judge Allows Beheading Suspect to Be Own Attorney, Fox News, January 24, 2011

A former New York TV executive accused in the gruesome beheading his estranged wife has been granted permission to act as his own defense lawyer for the rest of his murder trial.

In a reversal Monday, a judge allowed Muzzammil Hassan to take over as lead counsel from attorney Jeremy Schwartz. The two have been at odds over Hassan’s defense since the trial began in Buffalo last week. Schwartz will stay on to help.

Judge Thomas Franczyk initially denied Hassan’s request, but relented when Schwartz brought up their differences again Monday.

Hassan is accused of killing his 37-year-old wife Aasiya Hassan inside the offices of Bridges TV, the Muslim-oriented television station the couple founded to counter negative images of Muslims after the Sept. 11 attacks.

�She was very much aware of the potential ramification her filing for divorce might have,� said attorney Elizabeth DiPirro, whose law firm, Hogan Willig, represented Aasiya Hassan in divorce proceedings. �But she wanted to proceed despite the potential for it to erupt.�

DiPirro said the couple had �physical confrontations off and on� for their entire eight-year marriage that had escalated to death threats. The grounds for divorce were �cruel and inhuman treatment,� DiPirro said, referring to multiple prior incidents of abuse.

�We were worried about the situation becoming volatile,� DiPirro said.