Republished on VDARE.com on May 13, 2006
Chicago Sun-Times, May 2, 2006
"There is no human right to enter another country in violation of its laws."—Antonio Garza, U.S. ambassador to Mexico, January 2006
Monday`s street demonstrations and work stoppages have nothing to do with "immigrant rights," and their organizers know it.
This "protest" is about disrespect. It is about lies. And it is about callous indifference to the plight of 14 million underemployed American workers, a disproportionate number of them poor, who are forced to compete with foreigners for jobs they once did—but for better wages. Has anybody noticed that in today`s "inclusive" society, it appears that you have to be foreign-born in order to be entitled to "search for a better life"?
Among the many lies we hear from the open-borders advocates is that immigrants do the "dirty and dangerous" jobs Americans won`t do. How many of the 14 West Virginia coal miners who died on the job in January were illegal aliens? Answer: none.
If, according to a recent labor report from the Pew Center for Hispanic Studies, 20 percent of this nation`s cooks are foreigners, who is doing the remaining 80 percent? Answer: American citizens.
Many of these low-skilled jobs were done by black Americans who now, thanks to today`s immigration nightmare, are being pushed to the back of the political, social and economic bus.
What we are witnessing for the first time in our history are large numbers of foreign nationals here illegally—and their supporters who include politicians sworn to uphold our laws—telling all who will listen that they have no respect for the rule of law or the sovereignty of the American people.
Who can forget the March 10 images of Mayor Daley, Gov. Blagojevich and U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) going into Chicago`s streets to applaud those who willfully broke the law? In other words, these anarchists and their political allies (duly elected by citizens) want to change our rules because the rules conflict with their agenda.
The last time I looked, our government was created for the purpose of serving the people whose consent gave it life in the first place. Since illegal aliens are not part of our political process, it seems to me their energy and efforts would be better directed in their own countries where they should be demanding of those governments what they have no right to demand of ours.
Should any of the amnesty bills ("guest worker" programs) now being considered by the many disloyal fools on Capitol Hill become reality, the message sent to the millions of immigrants who arrived here legally—and to all our veterans—will be: "Suckers!"
And we again will demonstrate that we learned nothing from the "one-time-only" amnesty for 2.7 million illegals in 1986 that was followed by seven more amnesties, culminating in today`s illegal population of 12 million people.
But that wouldn`t be the only damage done to this republic.
At a time when our government should be focused only on national security, we now learn that the agency charged with processing new immigrants reeks of fraud and corruption. Michael Maxwell, the former director of Security and Investigations for Citizenship and Immigration Services, recently testified before Congress that the holes in this incompetent agency are big enough to "drive a truck through."
An amnesty`s impact also will adversely affect our population growth, 90 percent of which today is fueled by immigrants and the birth of their children here. Depending on which of the three amnesties that would be implemented, 20 million to 30 million more people would swell our population during the next 10 years. These numbers would add to the Census Bureau`s projection of 420 million by 2050 and nearly 600 million people by 2100.
This nation is at a critical juncture in its history, and the question now before the American people is: Are you willing to surrender your right to determine your future to an army of 12 million invaders that comes with the support of arrogant and corrupt foreign governments that won`t do right by their own citizens?