Is America Asleep? Help VDARE.com Prove Otherwise!
To skip this fundraising appeal (we just need to reach $30,000!), scroll to the bottom to see more about our VIP Pass. (And reading the appeal itself is free, of course.)
[This is actually my daughter Felicity, taken on St. Felicity’s Day, March 7th, 2013. Felicity will still be a young woman in 2042 when current immigration policy is projected to have driven American whites—known until the 1965 Immigration Act as “Americans”—into a minority in the country that their forefathers built].
By Peter Brimelow, Editor, VDARE.com
OF COURSE, that’s what the Treason Lobby wants you to believe—that America is asleep, and that the Schumer-Rubio Amnesty/ Immigration Surge bill can be smuggled through when Congress returns this fall.
And, of course, at VDARE.com we know this is (yet another) Treason Lobby lie.
- We see it in our traffic (thanks, readers!).
- We see it in the ferocity with which ordinary Americans eviscerate the endless Main Stream Media/ Treason Lobby propaganda in their postings on the comment threads.
- We see it in the fact that the Amnesty/ Immigration Surge timetable has slipped, from “before July 4th” to “before the August recess” to “October.”
- We see it in the fact that the Treason Lobby still will not admit that what it is demanding is Amnesty—and is more than ever afraid to hold Town Halls/ public meetings where Americans can appear and protest.
For the third time in seven years, American patriots are making a goal-line stand—against an essentially identical Amnesty/ Immigration Surge offensive.
For the third time in seven years, the issue turns not on inside-the-Beltway maneuvering, but on the protests of grass-roots Americans.
Needless to say, it is extremely annoying to be once again making a goal line stand like this.
And—speaking personally—I blame this protracted failure to move off the defensive on the Politically Correct timidity of the foundation-funded Inside-The-Beltway Immigration Patriot Establishment—to say nothing, of course, of the donor-dominated legislative class in Washington DC, which is (with a few honorable exceptions) is simply unspeakable.
Nevertheless, I believe that the fact that the Amnesty/ Immigration Surge issue is now universally acknowledged to have moved to the grassroots vindicates VDARE.com’s strategy of providing facts and analysis, without charge, regardless of Political Correctness or inside-the-Beltway considerations, to the American people.
The facts and analyses we provide are ammunition for American patriots in their battles across the land.
At VDARE.com, we really believe that “ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
Let me say also, as a battle-scarred veteran of the immigration debate, that I do see real signs of movement.
- In the last several months, there has finally been some MSM discussion of the extent to which the Amnesty/ Immigration Surge is suicide for the Republican Party—and whether the GOP’s problem is really its failure to appeal to Hispanics, or rather its failure to motivate its (many times larger) traditional white a.k.a. American base.
At VDARE.com, we have been writing about this issue for thirteen years. It got us banned from the Republican booster site FreeRepublic.com back in 2001.
This is not, of course, because we care about any particular political party. It is because we saw that the immigration-triumphalist narrative promoted by the MSM is simply false.
However, this is no mere theoretical point. It’s dynamite.
- If professional politicians can be induced to see that the MSM narrative is false—no easy task—they can next be induced to see the need, and the utility to their careers, of an immigration moratorium.
Who knows? Perhaps the next step will be MSM discussion of the extent to which immigrant workers are displacing Americans workers.
Uniquely, VDARE.com has been providing monthly tracking of displacement, based on our analysis of federal government employment data, since 2004. It’s amazing that this displacement issue hasn’t surfaced already, given that it’s all too obvious that neither party has any idea what to do about the chronic high unemployment that persists in the aftermath of the 2008 Crash. Maybe it will surface now.
Stranger things have happened! (See above).
And all by themselves, these two arguments will revolutionize the immigration debate.
Because arguments do ultimately shape policy. But money matters too.
Indeed, perhaps the single biggest change in public discourse since VDARE.com first went live on Christmas Eve 1999 is an increased general awareness of donors and of how they, and the professional campaign consultants who live off them, distort political debate. New York Times columnist Ross Douthat calls this phenomenon “donorism.”
The classic case: Mitt Romney’s hapless 2012 Presidential campaign, which was quite clearly run to maximize donations at the expense of issues that motivate the GOP base. Immigration was merely one example. After the primaries, Romney stopped even hinting at resisting illegal immigration. Instead, he explicitly promised both to increase legal immigration and to get “Comprehensive Immigration Reform” a.k.a. an Amnesty/ Immigration Surge passed in his “first year.” (Yes, yes, I know this is contrary to MSM myth, but VDARE.com documented the disgraceful details here).
Romney’s reward: humiliating defeat, due to record low white turnout. But his consultants got to spend some $1 billion on themselves!
And big donors really really want an Amnesty/ Immigration Surge bill. The Sunlight Foundation has reported that they have spent $1.5 billion lobbying for it since 2007. (And that doesn’t include this year’s splurge).
At VDARE.com, again I think uniquely, we have used standard economic techniques to explain why this is happening.
Although immigration doesn’t benefit Americans in aggregate, it does benefit some Americans—at the expense of others. It does this by increasing competition for jobs and thereby depressing wages. The accepted estimate: immigration redistributes some 2 to 3 percent of GDP from labor to the owners of capital. In 2013, that’s about $300 billion-$450 billion, a very large number. And remember, the 2013 Amnesty/Immigration Surge bill could triple legal immigration. So we could be looking at a diversion of income amounting to more than a trillion dollars.
This is a looting of the U.S. economy that can only be compared to the Russian oligarchs’ theft of assets as the Soviet Union collapsed. It explains the extraordinary parade of plutocrats—for example, Sheldon Adelson, Mark Zuckerberg, Michael Bloomberg, Paul Singer, the Koch brothers—currently pushing the 2013 Amnesty/ Immigration Surge bill.
When Americans hear that immigration will “spur economic growth,” they should read: Permit more plutocrat plundering of America’s middle and working class.
American politics seem have entered a new Gilded Age, with politicians (and journalists) all too eager to do the bidding of high-tech Robber Barons.
The good news: money without ideas doesn’t work. (Ask Mitt Romney).
The Treason Lobby needs to outspend immigration patriots by a thousand to one, lie that what it’s doing is not Amnesty but “immigration reform” (an immigration moratorium would be “immigration reform” too) and try to smuggle through the logically-unconnected legal immigration surge because what it is doing is all intensely unpopular with Americans. And more immigration just makes the problems worse—politicians trying to “get it behind” them are just going to be bitten in the buttock.
Look at it this way: every (tax-deductible) dollar you give VDARE.com forces the Treason Lobby to spend at least a thousand, much of it on political campaigns and hence not deductible!
That’s some investment! And it’s in our children’s future.
Money is our secret weapon at VDARE.COM. Our fixed costs are very low, we operate entirely virtually. We don’t have to pay printing and postage (thank goodness!).
What this means: essentially everything you give goes to pay writers and editors.
Our writers and editors are not paid as much as I would like. But they do get something. This ability to pay our writers is what has distinguished VDARE.COM from a host of excellent but evanescent blogs which have come and gone.
Writers will often write for love—because they passionately believe in our cause. But in the long run, they need to be able to justify the time spent, to their families and to themselves.
At VDARE.COM, we are in this for the long haul. We are building an institution. We need money to do that. We can only do it with your help.
To me as a professional journalist, the quantity and quality of non-professional writing on the immigration issue that comes in over the e-transom has been a revelation. Many of these writers have full-time careers in other fields, some are students; I encourage these to write anonymously because of the very real reign of terror imposed by the curse of Political Correctness. Others are struggling, idealistic free-lancers; I shudder for them. All are patriots deprived of outlets because of the orthodoxy of the Mainstream Media.
Please give generously. Help us show the Treason Lobby that America is indeed awake—and ready to go back on the offensive.
I (and Felicity, and all of America’s children) will be most grateful.
- It took some time but we listened! You know longer have to be blocked from viewing VDARE.com while we are running our appeals. Now, if you make a donation of $100 or more using the VIP link below you will be able to create a username and password that will allow you to view the entire site for the duration of the current appeal!
- You can also donate any amount using the regular donation page (here). When we reach our target of $30,000 we`ll re-open!
- If you can’t commit to a VIP Summer Pass, you can close the appeal (use that little x in the upper right hand corner) and you will be able to see the site, purchase any single article for a (tax-deductible) donation of one dollar to view individual articles.
- Special Offer: For a $50 (tax-deductible!) donation—our January 2013 VDARE.com webinar DVD recordings are FINALLY ready and available! The DVDs come in a set of 2, divided into the morning and afternoon sessions. They offer a meaty sampling of some of VDARE.com’s favorite topics : the racial realities of America’s urban decline (Paul Kersey), how guns, race and immigration really relate to each other (James Fulford); the critical significance of the white a.k.a. American vote (Steve Sailer); and, unforgettably, Our Job Is To Combat ‘Anosognosia’ BY SQUIRTING ICE-COLD WATER INTO SOCIETY`S LEFT EAR by John Derbyshire ). You can donate in the usual way, just alert email@example.com with your snailmail address.